Mamaw Martha's Pumpkin Pie
~ from my cherished recipe collection of family favorites
My Mamaw Martha’s Pumpkin Pie recipe ~ is just one of many family favorite recipes that we have saved and passed amongst our family. During this holiday season, i hope to record and share more of her dishes with you ~ in hopes to honor her memory & love of family ~
She loved cooking for her family, and her pumpkin pie was one dessert that she made sure to “make especially for me” every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. She was a true homemaker and her recipes were hardly ever written down, as she just added a “little bit of this, and a little bit of that” … and always turned “this & that” into the most amazing food for her family! My mom has managed to record many of her original recipes, by having watched her in the kitchen over the years, and since her passing ~ my Grandaddy has helped fill in any missing recipes that we’ve wondered about since.
Every Thanksgiving & Christmas, I make pumpkin pies ~ not only for me, but to honor her memory and to hang on to cherished memories of times gone by. This is a true dessert favorite at the Taylor family’s holiday dinners ~ and a recipe that i continue to cherish and will one day pass along to my children when they begin their baking adventures and family gatherings.
Wishing you all lots of love and warm blessings for a wonderful Thanksgiving, friends.
Cooking Time: 30-35 mins.
Preheat Oven To: 400°f
1 (16oz) can of pumpkin
5 large eggs
3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 (12oz) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp. self-rising flour
2 9″ deep dish pie shells
1 tsp. vanilla (add last)
1. Mix sugar, pie spice & flour (dry ingredients) together in a mixing bowl.
2. In a separate mixing bowl, combine pumpkin, eggs & evaporated milk (wet ingredients) ~ & beat with mixer
3. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet mixture, while beating
4. Add vanilla & beat well
5. Pour evenly into pie shells & place on middle rack in a 400°f preheated oven
6. Bake for 10 minutes, then decrease the oven temperature to 350°f and continue baking for 20-25 minutes – or until pie is firm in the center
Allow pies to cool for 2 hours & store in fridge ~ Best when served with a scoop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!